I don’t know about you, but I’m the type of man that likes a completely clean-shaven face. For many years, I used a razor on my beard every morning to achieve this look. As a result, I faced an ongoing issue with ingrown hairs along my jawline.
What didn’t seem like such a big deal at first, ended up being painful and unattractive. I knew something had to be done so I decided to sacrifice my baby-bottom smooth shaved face for a trimmer that would reduce the risk of ingrown hairs.
The Wahl Professional 8685 Peanut didn’t exist when I had to opt for another trimmer, but I wish it did. The Peanut addresses all the issues I was facing at the time, and it’s fun-sized!
Things to consider when buying a clipper/trimmer
Clippers usually work better on long hair and trimmers usually work better on shorter hair. That is because the main difference between the two is the blade size and blade length.
But for the most part, clippers and trimmers share the same main functions; trimming hair and maintaining a professional, clean-cut style.
There are some key things that you should consider with any clipper or trimmer to ensure that the one you select is a good one.
- Length Settings
Check to see if the product has the appropriate length settings for your desired style.
Powerful trimmers will provide a better performance.
You should consider the height and weight of the product. Trimmers should be easy to maneuver and not too heavy to handle.
Depending on the style of your beard, a guide should be included to show the appropriate size required.
- Corded or Cordless
Corded trimmers/clipper provide consistent power, but have limitations on how freely you can move around while shaving, while corded trimmers do not.
- PROFESSIONAL PRECISION: From Wahl Professional's commercial grade line of products, the Peanut Classic Clipper is intended for professional use only and is designed to deliver the sharp performance that experts demand with the convenience of a smaller size.
- STYLISH AND FUNCTIONAL: With its compact size and sleek design (4 inches long and weighing only 4 ounces), this stylish trimmer offers an appealing aesthetic in addition to top-notch precision and function. All the power of a full size clipper in a miniature size that fits in the palm of your hand.
- ACCESSORIES INCLUDED: For your convenience, the Peanut comes with all accessories required for use. Package includes the clipper/trimmer, (4) attachment comb cutting guides (1/8", ¼", 3/8", and ½"), oil, cleaning brush, red blade guard, and operating instructions.
The Wahl Professional 8685 Peanut is a compact, corded clipper/trimmer that has as much power as a full-sized clipper. The strong motor and sharp blade of this peanut-sized trimmer allows for a close shave with minimal irritation.
Measuring just 4 inches in length and weighing 4 oz, this miniature trimmer is easy to maneuver. It comes with 4 attachment trimming guides (⅛” - ½”) to maintain your preferred length. If you’re a beginner, you might want to find an alternative, as this trimmer is recommended for professional use only.
The Wahl Peanut is, however, ideal for any experienced gentleman looking to maintain a professional, close shave.
- 4” long, weighs 4 oz
- Includes cleaning oil, cleaning brush, operating instructions
- Powerful Rotary motor
- Removable precision blades
- Quiet operation
- 4 trimming guides: ⅛”, ¼”, ⅜”, ½”
- Powerful, yet quiet performance
- Easy to handle
- Sharp blade
- Very close cut
- Ideal for thick, coarse beards
- Can be used on head hair
- Can be used on kids
- Minimal irritation
- Unique design
- Not for beginners
- Power cord works only with 110-watt outlets
Features and benefits
- This trimmer is very lightweight, weighing only 4 ounces. I like the weight of this trimmer because it’s easy to handle and maneuver. Other trimmers that are bulky and heavy have the tendency to cause my wrist to fatigue after an extended period of time, but I never face that problem with the Peanut.
Also, when compared to most trimmers, this one is much smaller in size. It is only 4” long, looking somewhat like a small toy at first sight rather than a professional hair trimming device. I really like the small size because it gives this trimmer a nice, comfortable feel and fits perfectly in the palm of my hand. Since it doesn’t take up a lot of space, it’s easy to take along with me whenever I’m on the go and is also good for storage.
- Wahl Professional 8685 Peanut comes with four trimming guides, cleaning oil, a cleaning brush, and operating instructions. The four trimming guides come in sizes ⅛”, ¼”, ⅜”, and ½”. This is a nice feature because everyone is different, and the Peanut allows you to choose the right length for your needs. As for the cleaning brush, it find it helpful for removing any hairs that remain in the trimmer or blade after each use to prevent build up.
The oil acts as a nice lubricant for the blades, leaving my skin free from irritation or in-growth hairs. The oil also keeps the parts of the trimmer running efficiently. I started regularly using the brush and oil on this trimmer when I first purchased it, and after continuing to do so for 10 years, it still performs like a charm. The operating instructions for this trimmer are easy to follow. For any questions that I did have when first starting to use the Peanut, the instructions provided answers.
- The Wahl Professional 8685 Peanut is small, but mighty. It has a rotary motor that contains as much power as a full-sized clipper. I like this feature because when I get a little lazy, and my beard grows thick and shaggy, this trimmer effortlessly glides right through it in one go.
In fact, the motor gives this trimmer enough force to be used on just about any hair type, even head hair. Another part about the rotary motor that I like is that it runs silently. With a quiet operation, it’s nice to know that I can use the trimmer without disturbing anyone else.
- The Peanut is a corded trimmer, which I like because it provides consistent power without ever dying out. It has a pretty long cord, and certainly doesn’t make moving around or reaching difficult areas a struggle. With my last trimmer I had to wait for it to recharge before I was able to use it, but I like that this trimmer is always ready to go whenever I need it.
- This trimmer has removable precision blades. This makes changing the blades an easy task because all you have to do is snap them off and snap the new ones on. It also makes them easy to clean. The blades themself are very sharp, and perform a close cut. They also work particularly well for outlining and precision.
Pros and Cons
Pros - This is a small, but powerful clipper. It has the ability to cut through even the thickest beards, providing a wonderfully close trim with minimal irritation. It can be used on facial hair, head hair, and even kids’ hair. This trimmer is built to last, and reliable.
Cons - This trimmer is not recommended for beginners because of its sharp blades and power. Also, the power cord is only compatible with 110-watt outlets, which might be an issue if you try to use it internationally.
The Wahl Professional 8685 Peanut is not suitable for beginners, but if you’re a professional looking for a simple, reliable and powerful trimmer, this is a great product to consider. It is lightweight, easy to maneuver, and can cut through all hair types.
- PROFESSIONAL PRECISION: From Wahl Professional's commercial grade line of products, the 5-Star Detailer is intended for professional use only and is engineered to deliver the sharp performance that experts demand. It is equipped with an extra wide, adjustable t-blade for a precise, close cut.
- STYLISH AND FUNCTIONAL: This ultra-powerful compact trimmer offers an appealing aesthetic in addition to top-notch precision and function. Excellent for lining and artwork, the Detailer boasts a rotary motor with all of the power of a full size trimmer, yet is extremely lightweight and fits in the palm of your hand for ultimate control.
- ACCESSORIES INCLUDED: For your convenience, the 5-Star Detailer comes with all accessories required for use. Package includes the trimmer, (3) attachment comb cutting guides (1/16", 1/8", and 1/4"), oil, cleaning brush, instructions, and red blade guard.
I’ve tried many different trimmers over the years, including the infamous Wahl Professional Peanut, but always return back to using The Wahl Detailer 8081 Trimmer. The Peanut seemed a little too light for my liking, and I like that the Wahl Detailer has little more weight to it.
Plus, it has always been a trimmer I can count on. My favorite part about this trimmer is the adjustable T-blade that I can use for sharp lines and detailing. Whenever my beard gets too long, the Detailer cleans it up in no time.
It has a silent operation, but a lot of power to it because of the rotary motor. If you have a thick beard like me, and you want to shape up your beard with a close shave, the Wahl Detailer 8081 Trimmer might be the trimmer for you.
- Philips Norelco QT4070 Vacuum Beard, Stubble and Mustache Trimmer Pro is now called the Philips Norelco QT4070/41 Beard Trimmer 7300. The product has not changed; only the name and packaging. Packaging may vary during this transition.
- Integrated vacuum system - vacuum system captures cut hairs for mess-free trimming
- 18 secured length settings from 1/32 inch up to 23/32 inch (1mm up to 18mm)
Philips Norelco Beardtrimmer 7300 is suitable to my needs. I always hated the hassle of cleaning up my beard clippings. I purchased this beard trimmer because of its vacuum feature, and I have to say, it does a great job at keeping the bathroom sink free from hair.
The beard trimmer itself is also maintenance free. I never have to clean, change or do anything to keep this trimmer running strong. It trims up my beard nicely and I have pretty thick facial hair. This is a cordless trimmer but it can also be operated while charging.
The battery life lasts as long as 75 minutes, so it rarely dies out on me in the middle of a trimming session. I recommend this trimmer to any man who wants to maintain their appearance without having to maintain a beard trimmer.
The Philips Norelco BeardTrimmer 3500 is a simple, high-quality beard trimmer. One of the things I love most about this beard trimmer is its versatility. There are 20 different built in length settings, so I can always change up my look.
The teeth of the blades are rounded to prevent irritation, and it stays true to that. I almost purchased the Wahl Professional Peanut trimmer because it had great reviews and I liked the simplicity of the trimmer, but didn’t like that it had a cord.
Philips Norelco BeardTrimmer 3500 is about the same price, is just as simple, and I’m very please with its performance. If you’re a man who likes to change up your look occasionally, and prefer cordless trimmers for the portability, you should check out the Philips Norelco BeardTrimmer 3500.
This is a great product to consider if you like the clean shaved look that a razor gives, but don’t like the razor burn and ingrown hairs that it leaves behind. From my own experience with this trimmer, it performs efficiently, professionally, and is an overall great value for the price.
Last update on 2017-12-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API