I go on a lot of business trips that require looking professional, so I always need to take my beard trimmer along. Unfortunately, there were two past experiences where I lost an expensive trimmer during my trip: once in luggage and another in a hotel bathroom.
That’s why I decided to look for a backup, inexpensive beard trimmer for my travels. After doing research on trimmers, I went with the Wahl Pocket Pro. For me, this beard trimmer works perfectly for touch ups and I now leave my higher-quality trimmer at home where it’s safe.
It might be a good choice for you too if you are in need of a compact and portable, bargain trimmer to maintain your look.
Things to consider when buying a trimmer
Trimmers are necessary if you’re looking to trim, style, shape, or maintain your facial hair. If powerful enough, trimmers can also be suitable for head hair.
Here are some key things you should keep in mind when buying a trimmer:
- Length Settings
Check to see if the product has the appropriate length settings for your desired style.
Powerful trimmers will provide a better performance.
You should consider the height and weight of the product. Trimmers should be easy to maneuver and not too heavy to handle.
Depending on the style of your beard, a guide should be included to show the appropriate size required.
- Corded or Cordless
Corded trimmers provide consistent power, but put limitations on how freely you can move around while shaving, while corded trimmers do not.
Consider your budget, when it comes to quality of the trimmer you usually get what you pay for.
The Wahl Pocket Pro is a pocket-sized trimmer. Wahl claims that this trimmer works well on beards, stubble, facial hair, necklines and sideburns. This is a cordless trimmer that runs on one AA battery, so there is no charging necessary.
It comes with two (3 mm and 4.5 mm) attachment combs and an adjustable six position attachment comb. With a price tag of less than $10, this trimmer is a steal, but does not have the same power or build as more expensive trimmers.
That said, if you have a long beard and are looking for a powerful, built-to-last trimmer, you might want to consider another alternative. This pocket-sized trimmer is, however, ideal for any gentleman looking to continue light maintenance on his facial hair while traveling or on the go.
- High carbon steel blades
- Two close trim attachment combs (3 mm and 4.5 mm)
- Adjustable six position attachment comb (2 mm – 14 mm)
- Blade guard, cleaning brush, clipper oil, one AA battery included
- Battery operated
- Rubberised finish
- Handy size
- Great for light maintenance
- Easy to clean
- Good grip
- Not for designing, shaping or precision
- Not for thick or long hair
Features and benefits
- This trimmer has high carbon steel blades. Compared to stainless steel blades, carbon steel blades are self-sharpening. This means that the blades won’t dull out over time. I like this feature because I don’t have to continuously change the blades, or spend money on new blades, for a clean cut.
- This trimmer has two close trim attachment combs and an adjustable six position attachment comb. These attachments offer a range of cutting lengths to meet your preference. This is great because if I’d like my beard and sideburns to be a different length, I just clip on the specific attachment and it gives me an even trim at the length I want.
The two close trim attachment combs are 3 mm and 4.5 mm. The six position attachment comb offer cutting lengths of 2 mm, 5 mm, 8 mm, 10 mm, 12 mm and 14 mm.
- The Wahl Pocket Pro is cordless and operates on 1 AA battery. Being a cordless trimmer eliminates the hassle of dealing with a cord, like needing to untangle it regularly. It also allows me the freedom of moving around around instead of being tied to an outlet socket. The fact that this trimmer operates on 1 AA battery is convenient because these batteries can be found almost anywhere, even at the grocery store.
These batteries usually come in a large pack too, so I like that I don’t have to constantly be running out to purchase more. What I also like about this trimmer running on a AA battery, rather than a rechargeable battery, is that there is no wait time when it dies out. All I have to do is pop in a new AA battery and it’s good to go.
- Included with this trimmer is the necessary items to operate this trimmer, as well as, maintain it. A cleaning brush and small tube of oil are supplied to make cleaning easy. I use the brush after every use to remove any hair caught in the blade. After, I always apply a drop or two of oil to the blades to keep them sharp and good to go for the next use. Maintaining the blades also helps keep my face smooth and free from irritation.
The comes with a blade guard too, which comes in handy whenever I store the trimmer away. It protects the trimmer blades from collecting dust overtime, which is important because I only use the trimmer when I’m traveling. The last essential item included with the trimmer is 1 AA battery. Since this is the only thing needed for the trimmer to operate, it’s nice that it’s included because you can begin trimming right away without needing to dig through things to find a battery, or running to the store to buy a pack of new ones.
- This trimmer is small in size and lightweight. I can easily fit this trimmer in my pocket, which I like because I can take it anywhere with me and use it for touching up when I’m not home. This miniature trimmer fits easily in the side pocket of my bag too, so whenever I travel I can take this trimmer along without it taking up much space.
- The Wahl Pocket Pro has a rubberised finish. To me, the finish feels very smooth and provides a solid grip. The finish of this trimmer makes me feel safer when using it because I know that it won’t slip out of my hands and nick my skin.
Pros and Cons
Pros – The small size of this trimmer makes it easy to fit in the average sized pocket and take anywhere. It works well for light maintenance and staying tidy. Cleaning the blades is easy with the included brush and oil. The rubberised finish gives the trimmer a good grip. With an incredibly inexpensive price, this trimmer is a good value.
Cons – The trimmer is not powerful enough to cut through long or thick hair. It also doesn’t work well for designing, shaping or precision.
The Wahl Pocket Pro is simple, portable, and pocket-sized. It does exactly what it says on the packaging, and works well for basic trimming jobs. By all means, this trimmer is not the best out there, but for the price, it’s an excellent value.
When it comes to traveling, I always take my Wahl 5537-1801 Cordless Beard Trimmer Kit along with me. This kit is very inexpensive and comes with a lot of features. My favorite feature is the additional trimmer for ear, nose, and eyebrow grooming.
Both the beard trimmer and the additional trimmer run on AA batteries, which I always have on me, so I never have to wait to use it. It’s not as powerful as other trimmers, but is powerful enough for me and does a good job at keeping my beard and mustache evenly trimmed up.
I recommend this product to any gentleman who requires general, single length trimming.
- PROFESSIONAL PRECISION: From Wahl Professional’s commercial grade line of products, the Peanut Classic Clipper is intended for professional use only and is designed to deliver the sharp performance that experts demand with the convenience of a smaller size.
- STYLISH AND FUNCTIONAL: With its compact size and sleek design (4 inches long and weighing only 4 ounces), this stylish trimmer offers an appealing aesthetic in addition to top-notch precision and function. All the power of a full size clipper in a miniature size that fits in the palm of your hand.
- ACCESSORIES INCLUDED: For your convenience, the Peanut comes with all accessories required for use. Package includes the clipper/trimmer, (4) attachment comb cutting guides (1/8″, ¼”, 3/8″, and ½”), oil, cleaning brush, red blade guard, and operating instructions.
The Wahl Professional 8685 Peanut is a great trimmer for me. My barber used it on me in his shop and I loved the way it performed so I decided to invest in one myself. Since then, I’ve been a loyal fan to the Wahl Peanut.
This trimmer is extremely small in size, but has as much power as a full sized clipper. It only takes minutes for this little trimmer to give me an incredibly smooth trim. This trimmer also has a classic, unique design (it’s shaped like a peanut).
I have the corded Peanut, but Wahl makes a cordless version too that has all the same features. If you’re a man seeking a quality trimmer for a close, smooth shave, I highly suggest you check out the Wahl Peanut.
The Conair Corded Beard and Mustache Trimmer is an affordable trimmer that is simple, but effective. I mainly use this trimmer when traveling, so that I can leave my good trimmer behind. In the past I’ve used a cordless trimmer for the same purpose, but I like the consistent power that this trimmer gives me.
I like the removable blades on this trimmer too because they are easy to pop off and clean after each use. If you’re looking for an inexpensive corded trimmer for light beard trimming, this is a good one to look into.
There are many different trimmers out there that will style, shape, and design your beard in unique ways. There are also trimmers that will last you a lifetime.
The Wahl Pocket Pro does not fit under either of these categories, but for me, it has been the perfect trimmer to take with me on the go so I don’t need to take the risk of losing a more expensive trimmer. Especially for the price, I’ve found the Wahl Pocket Pro to be very valuable.
If you’re a traveler like me, require general single-length beard trimming, and want to maintain your professional look when away from home, I definitely recommend this trimmer for you.