I don't know about you, but I love to flaunt my beard. But this isn't something that I can do if my beard isn't well groomed.
Each beard is as individual as the person; they have their texture, length, growth rate and type of beard hair. All of these factors differ from one man to another.
On top of that, our personal styles vary and as such there isn't a one size fits all beard trimmer, as we are individuals we need a beard trimmer that suits our individual needs.
So today we are going to help you find the best Wahl beard trimmer for your beard.
We've put together a list of short reviews of what we think are the 4 best beard & mustache trimmers from Wahl to help you find the world's best beard trimmer for your individual needs.
We get you're busy and you may not want to read this entire article to find what we think is the best beard trimmer, well don't worry to save you time here it is, continue reading for the full review.
The Best Wahl Beard Trimmer
- Loads of Accessories
- It's cordless
- Self Sharpening
- It has an LED charging indicator
- It comes with a travel case & travel lock
- Interchangeable regulators
- Incredibly lightweight
- Very Sturdy
We Don't Like
- It's not waterproof!
Summary: For us this trimmer just topped the list which you can see why in our review below, we do have a close second which you may also want to look at.
About Wahl Beard trimmers
In this article, we are going to focus on beard trimmers from Wahl.
Wahl has been around for 90 years making various forms of trimmers; we think that they make some of the best trimmers and shavers for men, and we know that you agree. Otherwise, you wouldn't be reading this article right?
Wahl beard trimmers have been around for a long time and as a result, they've helped men get and maintain that perfectly well-groomed look in the comfort of their home.
Helped by the fact that Wahl's beard and mustache trimmers are top quality and why are they high quality? Well unlike some other brands Wahl manufacture their products giving them complete control over the quality of the materials used and the quality of the manufacturing process.
The result of this? We get top quality beard and mustache trimmers.
Wahl offers a broad range of beard and mustache trimmers and grooming kits. Each tends to come with their individual type of blades, materials used and the shape of the trimmers.
These differences contribute to the advantages and disadvantages of these clippers; this means that Wahl offers a set of trimmers for each and every man, no matter what your individual needs are Wahl will more than likely have you covered.
Before we move on to finding you the perfect beard and mustache trimmer for your needs, let's take a few seconds and go over how to use a set of beard trimmers.
How to use a beard trimmer
To use your new beard trimmer correctly, you first need to ensure that your beard is clean.
Start by washing and drying your beard
Some trimmers won't be waterproof or even water resistant which we found quite surprising; As a result you need to ensure that you've thoroughly dried your beard before attempting to trim your beard.
If your beard trimmers are waterproof or resistant, you should still give your beard a good wash and dry before you start cutting.
A clean beard is much easier to trim which results in the finished look being a whole lot better.
Once your beard has completely dried, give it a good comb through to ensure that all your hairs are lying flat and that none of your beard hair is curled up and hidden; This ensures that your beard clippers cut uniformly and get every hair; This is especially important for people with longer beards.
Starting the trim
If you've never trimmed your beard before or if you are using a new set of beard trimmers then you should start with the longest trimming length on your clippers.
Once you've done the first pass, you can shorten the trimming length. Doing this means you remove the risk of over cutting your beard.
Moving onto the neck
Whenever I trim my beard, I ensure that I trim the neck area, this has an immense impact on how neat and clean your beard looks, I don't know about you, but my neck area seems to get scruffy first.
To trim your neck area, you should take the guard off of the trimmer and use the trimmer blade to create the borderline of where your beard will start.
Do bear in mind that if you create your border too close to your chin, it can give the illusion that you have a double chin.
If that does happen, or you cut a little bit too much, don't worry that hair in this area grows quickly so any mistakes will be hidden within a few days and the next time you shave you can make small adjustments to get that desired position and look.
If your trimmer can't cut your beard hair back far enough, it makes sense to go around the border with a razor to give you those clean and well-defined lines.
Now the face
With the neck taken care off and looking spot on, let's get working on your face.
When it comes to trimming your face, you should start with the sideburns before trimming your chin area.
Now when you start the trim you need to work out what style you are after, do you want hair on your cheeks or not? If you want shaven cheeks then now is the trim to define the borders just as you did with your neck, though we don't suggest you use your beard trimmers to do this as they tend to get in the way.
Instead, we recommend you use a razor (personally I use a safety razor) to define the border.
A beard always looks much nicer when the hair on the sides are a shorter length than the chin area. When I trim my beard, I trim the side's of my face 2 guard combs lengths shorter than the length of my chin.
Start trimming the sides of your face in a vertical manner, trimming towards your jawline. This is the same if you have hair on the cheeks or if you've gone for a shaven cheek look.
Change the trimmers guard length to the higher length and starting about 1 inch above your chin trim down towards your jawline.
Making sure not to touch your mustache, we'll be covering that next.
Trimming the mustache
When you come to trim your mustache you need to take extra care, any small mistakes you make with your beard can easily be hidden.
Mistakes with the mustache, however, cannot, a slight change in the pressure used while trimming will be difficult to rectify without the mustache growing over the mistake.
To start the trim, first, comb your mustache in a straight line towards your upper lip.
With your mustache nice and straight, cut any hair that extends over your top lip otherwise you won't hear the end of it from your spouse.
Use a longer length guard on your mustache trimmer as your mustache hair needs to be a bit longer to ensure that the hairs lay down straight in a sleeping position.
For most people their mustaches then to be quite thick and if you cut it too short then the mustache will stand upwards vertically like thorns which doesn't tend to be the desired look.
Finally, make sure to apply a good quality mustache wax to keep your mustache in the style you want.Keeping the beard and mustache well groomed.
Now we've gone over the basics of trimming your beard and mustache you now know what you need to do to keep your beard and mustache looking just right.
Doing so won't be possible without a good quality beard and mustache trimmer.
So which Wahl beard trimmer is the best Wahl beard trimmer?
To find out we've narrowed our list down to the follow 4 potential winners!
Wahl Beard Trimmer Reviews
- Head and total body grooming
- A damp cloth can be used to remove the hair sticking to the rubber grip rather than washing it.
- High carbon steel blades are precision ground to stay sharp longer
- The right tools to define your style
- Trim - shave - detail - outline - groom - touch up
First up we have the Wahl Groomsman Pro Rechargeable Grooming Kit #9860-700.
This trimmer isn't just a beard and mustache trimmer, but is also a full body grooming kit as well, making this a very versatile trimmer, which cements its place in our list of the best Wahl beard trimmers.
Features of the Wahl Groomsman Pro Rechargeable Grooming Kit #9860-700
- Steel Blades. It comes with steel blades. The blades are made in such a way so that they stay sharp for longer, providing you with an excellent trim every time.
- All In One. The grooming kit comes packed with all the things you need to classify your style.
- Accessories. The kit comes complete with a rechargeable trimmer unit, a trimmer head, a detail head, a dual shaver head, a T-blade, guides for standard trimmer, blade oil, position guide, a comb, guides for 3 t-blade, cleaning brush, storage base, English/Spanish instructions/styling guide and a charger. So, you can use this to achieve a perfectly groomed body.
- Battery Life.The battery life of this trimmer long enough. It lasts for more than 2 hours on an average.
- Cordless. It comes with a rechargeable battery, so you don't have to plug it in while using.
Issues we found
- The stand provided designed to hold all of the attachments provided which creates a risk that you will end up losing some of them.
- The blades aren't capable of providing a clean shaven head, but for trimming your beard and your beard alone, this is fantastic beard trimmer.
- There have been concerns raised about the build quality of the Wahl Groomsman Pro Rechargeable Grooming Kit #9860-700 though we didn’t experience any issues with the build quality of the product ourselves.
- Another problem we uncovered was that some people found that the trimmer can sometimes tug the hair rather than cutting which caused some discomfort.
Final thoughts on the Wahl Groomsman Pro Rechargeable Grooming Kit #9860-700
We loved this trimmer; it didn’t top our list, but it deserves its place amongst our list of the best Wahl beard trimmers.
- Slate Stainless Steel Lithium Ion Multi-Purpose trimmer with 4 detachable heads for trimming and shaving
- Run Time 4x's longer than standard rechargeable batteries. Up to 240 minutes of run time.
- 1-Minute quick charge for when you don't have much time
- Smart charging LED indicator
Next in our list of the best Wahl beard trimmer is the Wahl Lithium Ion Slate Stainless Steel Trimmer #9864
Features of the Wahl Lithium Ion Slate Stainless Steel Trimmer #9864
- Battery Life. The battery life is amazing! The battery lasts 4 times as long as a standard battery. From a single charge, the battery will last for up to 3 hours.
- Quick Charge. It has the option of a 1-minute quick charge. So, when you are getting ready, and you're late, you don’t have enough time to wait for your beard trimmer to charge just use this feature, and you’ll have a perfectly groomed beard in no time.
- Charging Indicator. It comes with Smart LED charging indicator. Sometimes when we plug in something to charge we forget to switch it on. This indicator light will help prevent that. It also makes sure that you know that your trimmer is getting charged, and an additional benefit is that the LED informs you when the battery is low and when the charging is complete.
- Durability. The trimmer is very durable since as it is made from100 % stainless steel.
- Self Sharpening. It comes with Self-Sharpening Stainless Steel and Carbon Steel Blades. These blades provide outstanding cutting performance from Head to Toe.
- Foil Shaver. It also has system 3 foil shaver. The full-size foil shaver has dual floating heads and two directional long hair cutters.
- Carry Case. You get a zip case and stand so that you can keep all the attachments safe and organized.
Issues we found
- The parts of the trimmer are very bulky and restrict the vision while shaving and which can make it a little difficult to get those clean lines while shaving.
- Sometimes the trimmer will grab hair, which can make the trimming a painful experience.
Final thoughts on the Wahl Lithium Ion Slate Stainless Steel Trimmer #9864
The third beard trimmer in our list is the Wahl Beard Rechargeable Trimmer #9916-817.
Features of the Wahl Beard Rechargeable Trimmer #9916-817
- Accessories. It has 3 trimmer guide combs, 6 position beard length guide, 7 trimming length beard regulator.
- Cordless. It allows you to shave in both the corded and cordless way.
- Self Sharpening. The blades are self-sharpening.
- Charging Indicator. It has an LED charging indicator which lets you know when the charging is complete. The LED indicator also informs you when the trimmer is almost out of battery.
- Travel Lock. It has a travel lock switch.
- Carry Case. You get a zip pouch so that you can keep your attachments safe and organized and can easily take them along when traveling.
- Rechargeable. The trimmer is rechargeable.
- Interchangeable regulators. It has interchangeable regulators. These regulators allow you to change the length of the trim without the use of combs. This trimmer comes with 7 regulators so that you don't have to use combs and get an inconsistent shave.
- Lightweight. It is lightweight and designed in a way that makes it easy to hold.
- Sturdiness. It is very sturdy and won't easily break even if you happen to drop it by mistake.
Issues we found
- It's not waterproof! Yeah... that's the only problem.
Final thoughts on the Wahl Beard Rechargeable Trimmer #9916-817
We think this is an incredible beard trimmer, after speaking with other people who have used it, we aren’t the only ones.
Which is why this beard trimmer has topped our list of the best Wahl beard trimmers. It covers everything you need from a beard trimmer and much more.
If you're looking for the best beard trimmer, then this Wahl beard trimmer is a perfect choice.
- Powerful lithium ion battery that hold a charge up to 10 times longer with 3 times the run time and 2 times the torque.
- One minute quick charge and 1 hour full charge
- 3 beard guides, ear nose and brow detailer, dual foil shaver, T-blade trimmer with three guide combs.
- Made for use in USA electrical outlets only. Not for international use.
The last beard trimmer in our list is the Wahl Lithium Ion Grooming Kit #9854-600.
Features of the Wahl Lithium Ion Grooming Kit #9854-600
- Battery Life. It has a powerful Lithium-Ion battery which provides a long battery life.
- 1-hour Charge. The charging time required by this is merely an hour! That’s right it requires only an hour to charge completely, that is incredible.
- Quick Charge. It has the option of quick charge, which charges the trimmer in 5 minutes. This option allows you to use the trimmer when you are in a hurry, and the trimmer is out of battery.
- Battery Retention. It won't lose any power when not in use.
- Battery Protection. It automatically stops charging when it gets fully charged.
- Accessories. It comes packed with accessories to suit your individual grooming needs, including 3 beard guides.
- All In One. It also has a nose, eyebrow and ear detailer.
- Foil Shaver. It has a dual foil shaver which helps ensure you get the closest trim possible.
- T-Blade. It also has a trimmer with T-blade, which is very handy for mustache trimming.
- Warranty. Also, it has a 5-year warranty.
- Powerful Motor. The motor is powerful; you notice it as soon as you switch it on, which means that if you happen to have an incredibly thick beard, this trimmer will have no problem tackling it.
- Precision. The trim is very precise
Issues we found
- The organizer tray that comes along with this trimmer seems like an afterthought as the accessories don’t fit in the provided slots making the organization of the accessories difficult.
- The blades of the trimmers can rust if not handled with proper care.
- The high powered motor tends to create vibrations and a lot of noise during trimming; the vibrations make it difficult to create the clean lines.
- Additionally, the instructions provided for use are too ambiguous and short of proper guidance.
Final thoughts on the Wahl Groomsman Pro Rechargeable Grooming Kit #9860-700
For us, this beard trimmer provides an excellent beard trim.
The battery never once gave in mid-trim though that wouldn’t be too much of a problem with the 5-minute quick charge feature.
The provided attachments meant we were able to groom all areas of our body.
It is an all over body trimmer which works incredibly well on your beard.
When it comes to choosing a beard trimmer you can’t go wrong with one from Wahl.
The company has been on the market for 90 years, so they know what they’re doing, and that’s been proven by the quality of beard trimmers we’ve reviewed in this list.
We hope that our reviews of the products in our list above have helped you find the best beard trimmer for you.
One thing for sure is that all the men need a good quality trimmer to ensure they look their best at all times.
Last update on 2017-09-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API