With a beard like mine, it can be difficult to find a long-lasting trimmer that doesn’t break the bank and gets the job done right. I don’t know about you, but my facial hair grows in fast, thick and begins looking a bit shaggy if not properly maintained.
So a few years ago, I went out on a limb and spent a little extra money to get the Wahl Detailer 8081 Trimmer. Needless to say, it’s still running strong, and I couldn’t be happier with the results. If you are facing the same problems I used to face, this professional trimmer might do the trick for you too.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Trimmer
Trimmers are necessary if you’re looking to trim, style, shape, or maintain your facial hair.There’s a wide variety of trimmers on the market differing in the price range, length settings, attachments, and power. So the question is, how do you choose?
Here are some key things to consider before buying a trimmer:
- Length Settings
Check to see if the product has the appropriate length settings for your desired style.
Powerful trimmers will provide better performance.
You should consider the height and weight of the product. Trimmers should be easy to maneuver and not too heavy to handle.
Depending on the style of your beard, a guide should be included to show the appropriate size required.
- Corded or Cordless
Corded trimmers have limitations on how freely you can move around while shaving, while corded trimmers do not.
Wahl Professional Series Detailer #8081 - With Adjustable T-Blade, 3 Trimming Guides (1/16" - 3/16"), Red Blade Guard, Oil, Cleaning Brush and Operating Instructions, 5-Inch
1 used from $49.92
Wahl Detailer 8081 Trimmer is a sleekly-designed, compact trimmer with the same power motor as a full-size clipper. With this being a powerful device, it operates quietly, so you can shave early in the morning without waking your wife! This multi-purpose trimmer has an adjustable T-blade for close trimming and precise lining.
Three attachments are included if you prefer your beard to be longer in length. However, the highest attachment for beard length is 1.5”, so if you prefer a longer beard than 1.5”, this product is not for you. This 5” long trimmer is ideal for any traveling businessman looking to maintain his professional look wherever he may go.
- 5” long, weighs 6.9 oz
- Includes cleaning oil, cleaning brush, red blade guard
- Equipped with extra-wide adjustable T-blade
- Powerful Rotary motor
- Quiet operation
- 3 trimming guides 1/16” through 1/4”
- Three cutting combs sizes: 1/2″, 1″ and 1 1/2″
- 8-foot long, professional grade, chemical resistant cord
- Operating instructions included
- Powerful, yet quiet performance
- Great size for traveling
- Precise shaping and lining
- Affordable price
- Extra accessories included
- Very sharp blade
- Ideal for thick, coarse beards
- Sharp blade may cause irritation
The Wahl Detailer 8081 Trimmer is a compact and lightweight product. This trimmer is powerful, and a great tool for shaping, and making precise lines. This product is durable and very high in quality, especially for the price.
The blade is so sharp that it can cause irritation to your skin if used on an angle.
Features and benefits
- This trimmer is very lightweight, weighing only 6.9 ounces, which makes it easy to handle and get those hard-to-reach places. Other trimmers that I’ve used in the past would cause my arms to fatigue due to the weight. With this trimmer, I don’t face that problem because it is so lightweight.Also, when compared to most trimmers, this one is almost half the size in length. Being only 5” long, it is small enough to fit right in the palm of my hand. The compact size of this trimmer makes it easy to pack and take along when I’m on the go or traveling for a business trip.
- Some extra accessories included with this trimmer are cleaning oil and a cleaning brush. I find the brush useful for removing any obvious hairs in the trimmer, significantly reducing the amount of buildup inside the trimmer. The cleaning oil is great for lubricating the blades to prevent any cuts or nicks and leaves my face smooth after every use.The oil is also necessary because it keeps all of the parts to the trimmer running efficiently. I found that by using both the oil and the brush on a regular basis, my trimmer has continued to perform as well as it did when I first bought it.
- The extra wide T-blade on this trimmer is adjustable. Compared to other Wahl blades, this one is wider to ensure precision in the cut, and I feel that it follows up with that promise. A nice addition to the T-blade is the big screws that keep the adjustments in place. With the large screws, I’ve never faced the problem of the blades adjusting themselves.
- This trimmer is small in size, but really packs a punch! The Wahl 8081 has a rotary motor that has as much power as a full-size clipper. The motor operates at 120 volts/60 hertz. In fact, the rotary motor gives this trimmer enough power to where if you wanted to cut your hair with it, you could.
- Although very powerful, this trimmer operates quietly. This is a nice feature, especially when I want to trim up my beard for work in the morning while my wife is still sleeping.
- This trimmer includes three different attachment comb cutting guides. These guides are helpful for getting the exact style you want. The guides include sizes 1/16”, 1/8”, and 1/4”.
- This trimmer is not cordless, but it does has an 8-foot long, professional grade cord. I am the kind of man who usually prefers cordless, but I’ve never felt limited in range with this corded trimmer. It allows me to trim up my beard and reach those difficult angles with ease.The cord is also chemical resistant, allowing me peace of mind that it will not contain any hazardous or harmful chemicals.
- I found the instructions included this product to be detailed and specific. Being a first-timer with this product, the instructions answered any questions I might have had. I feel that a first-timer of any trimmer would find it just as easy to use these instructions.
- Many times in the past, I went with a cheap domestic trimmer. I didn’t really ever put a lot of thought into the trimmer, just as long as it got the job done it was fine for me. After a while though I realized that the total cost of the cheap trimmers I purchased were quickly adding up, and it just wasn’t worth it.This trimmer is built differently, and it is built to last. I bought the Wahl Detailer 8081 in 2012, and it is still running strong.
- I’ve purchased many trimmers in the past that were cheaper in price than this beard trimmer, but also cheaper in quality. Conversely, there are many trimmers that are more expensive than the Wahl Detailer 8081 , but have similar features. From my own experience with this product, the overall value of this product is excellent.
If you’re looking for a long-lasting, quality trimmer, this is a great product to consider. This trimmer includes unique features, such as the T-shape blade, which allows precision when shaping. Whether your beard is thick or not, long or short, this trimmer is powerful enough to shape your beard how you want it.
Andis 04710 Professional T-Outliner Beard/Hair Trimmer with T-Blade, Gray, Model GTO
$58.99 in stock
2 used from $60.33
The Andis T-Outliner is a classic and trustworthy trimmer. This trimmer is pretty pricey, but worth the price, because it has never failed me. The blade is sharp and provides an extremely close cut whenever I trim my mustache or beard.
I have very sensitive skin, but if I use the oil that comes with this trimmer, it does not leave my skin feeling or looking irritated at all. Similar to the Wahl Detailer 8081 , the Andis T-Outliner has an adjustable T-blade which makes it easier for precision and design.
The only difference is that the Andis T-Outliner is a little pricier, but I feel that it has been worth every penny since I bought it.
Wahl Groomsman Corded or Cordless Beard Trimmer for Men - Rechargeable Grooming Kit for Facial Hair - Hair Clipper, Shaver & Groomer - Model 9918-6171
Wahl trimmers are known for quality, and I have to say, the Wahl Beard Trimmer Model 9918-6171 is no exception. I’m the type of person who tries to save money on products whenever possible. This Wahl Beard Trimmer is a bargain.
This product does have a noisy operation, but I don’t mind it so much. It is mainly meant for trimming and shaping short thin hair. If you cannot afford one of the expensive trimmers, already have shorter hair, and would like to touch up your beard every once in a while, then the Wahl Beard Trimmer Model 9918-6171 is a good alternative.
The Philips Norelco Beard Trimmer 3500 has been a great trimmer for me. I have a thick beard, and I like to rock the medium length beard. This trimmer does a good job of maintaining the medium length look without tugging on my hairs. This trimmer is simple, but looks and feels very durable.
It’s also a cordless trimmer, but still works when it’s plugged in and charging. The battery life on this trimmer lasts about two hours, but a nice feature is that it continues to work while it’s charging. It will not give you a close cut and isn’t the best trimmer for sharp lining, but it’s the perfect tool for the look I want.
There are many different ways to styles your beard, and your style might be different than mine. But whatever you’re trying to achieve with your beard, this trimmer will give you that professional look without having to leave the house.
Not to mention, it has lasted me many years and my close friends who own this trimmer are pleased with the durability of this product as well. If you have a long beard like me and are looking to invest in a good trimmer, I highly suggest you check out the Wahl Detailer 8081 Trimmer.