Do you remember when you first started sprouting facial hair? My son reached this point in his life a few years ago. Now, he finally has just enough to begin maintaining, so when asked what he wanted for his birthday this year, he said he wanted his very own beard trimmer.
I’d been using beard trimmers for many years and knew all about the high-end ones, but I wasn’t quite sure about trimmers for young men with no experience. I didn’t want to disappoint my son by not getting him a trimmer, so I began looking for the right one.
I went with the Wahl 5537-1801 Cordless Beard Trimmer because it seemed to be perfect for his needs and too affordable to pass up. Needless to say, he was thrilled to receive the trimmer and now uses it regularly with no problems.
Things to consider when buying a trimmer
Trimmers are necessary if you’re looking to trim, style, shape, or maintain your facial hair. If powerful enough, trimmers can also be suitable for head hair.
There is no “one size fits all” trimmer, but there are certainly some key things you should keep in mind when buying one.
- Length Settings
Check to see if the product has the appropriate length settings for your desired style.
Powerful trimmers will provide a better performance.
You should consider the height and weight of the product. Trimmers should be easy to maneuver and not too heavy to handle.
Depending on the style of your beard, a guide should be included to show the appropriate size required.
- Corded or Cordless
Corded trimmers have limitations on how freely you can move around while shaving, while corded trimmers do not.
Consider your budget, because when it comes to quality of trimmers, most of the time you get what you pay for.
Wahl Claims that its Wahl 5537-1801 Cordless Beard Trimmer has everything you need to tighten up your beard, mustache, goatee, and neckline.
Included in the kit is the beard trimmer unit, an additional ear/nose/eyebrow trimmer, five-position guide, three standard guide combs (1/16, 1/8, and 3/16-inch), blade guard, mustache comb, cleaning brush, blade oil, storage base and operating instructions.
The beard trimmer is not as powerful as many other, higher-end, Wahl trimmers and works best for men who don’t have much facial hair to maintain.
Weighs 5.6 oz
High carbon steel blades
2 year warranty
11 piece kit:
Three guide combs
Lubricating blade oil
Bonus nose, ear, and eyebrow trimmer - runs on 1 AA battery
- Lightweight product, great for traveling
- Lots of extra accessories included
- Good trimmer for beginners
- Good for touching up facial hair
- Looks and feels somewhat cheap
- Loud operation
- Not powerful
- Has a tendency to pull hair
Features and benefits
- This trimmer weighs 5.6 ounces. Compared to other trimmers, it is lightweight. I like the weight of it because sometimes I find that with heavy trimmers it’s easy to apply too much pressure. With this trimmer, I don’t face that problem and I always feel completely in control.
- Considering the cheap price, Wahl didn’t skimp on the blades with this trimmer. It has high carbon steel blades that are self-sharpening. The motor is not very powerful on this device, but the sharpness of the blades works well on trimming up to three days of hair growth. After two months of using this trimmer every day of every weekend, it seems that the blades have not dulled out on me whatsoever.
- This trimmer is cordless, which is nice because whenever I need to take it somewhere, I just throw it in my bag without having to face the hassle of winding up a tangled cord. This feature makes the trimmer much more portable.
Also, there is no charging station or wait time for this cordless trimmer. All it requires is two AA batteries, so as long as you have those handy, you’re good to go! The additional nose, ear, and eyebrow trimmer is also cordless and runs on just one AA battery.
- For the entire 11-piece beard trimmer kit, there is a 2-year warranty. This is great because even though it is inexpensive, I have peace of mind knowing that if anything breaks within the two-year window I can always return it for another one at no cost.
- Various accessories come with the Wahl 5537-1801 Cordless Beard Trimmer that give it added value. This includes a bonus ear/nose/eyebrow trimmer, oil, blade guard, mustache comb, a 5-position guide, 3 standard guide combs, and a storage base.
The bonus trimmer is a great addition to this kit because it’s portable, easy to use, and does a good job grooming my ears, nose and eyebrows. It is also cordless and runs on just one AA battery, which is great because I can take it with me wherever I may need it and it doesn’t take up much room.
I use the lubricating oil and blade guard regularly. The oil comes in a small bottle, but adding just one drop to the blade before each use makes a world’s difference. This prevents the blade from rusting or tarnishing and leaves my face always feeling smooth.
I use the blade guard to protect the blade whenever I’m not using it. By using these two items continuously, the blade has stayed in prime condition. The 5-position guide, as well as the three standard (1/16, 1/8, and 3/16-inch) guide combs are useful too.
I usually just stick to the shortest comb, but it’s definitely nice that this kit comes with options in case I decide to switch up my style and go with a longer length.
Pros: Being lightweight and battery operated, this trimmer is perfect for taking with you on the go. This affordable product comes with many useful extra accessories and attachments, including a nose, ear, and eyebrow trimmer that is also battery operated. This trimmer is ideal for young men with sprouting facial hair, beginners, or for touching up.
Cons: Apparent from the small price tag, this is not a high-end trimmer and does have some flaws. It looks and feels somewhat cheap, has a noisy operation and has the tendency to pull and snag hair. This trimmer is also not powerful enough to cut through thick long hair or shave your head.
Wahl 5537-1801 Cordless Beard Trimmer is not among the top beard trimmers on the market, and does not perform the same as more expensive trimmers. That said, it still is a good trimmer to go with for simple beard maintenance, especially for the low price.
The Conair Corded Beard and Mustache Trimmer is the most affordable trimmer I’ve come across. Especially for the price, I am very pleased with the performance. I mainly use this trimmer when traveling, so that I can leave my good trimmer behind.
I used to have a cordless trimmer for the same purpose, but I felt that always having to recharge it made it more inconvenient than convenient. If you’re looking for an inexpensive corded trimmer for light beard trimming, this is a good one to look into.
- Wahl Clipper is the #1 brand of beard trimmers and hair clippers*. The brand used by professionals since 1919
- Long Lasting Blades, All in One Solution- Features Wahl high-carbon precision ground blades for unbeatable trimming results
- Blade Guards - 8 Individual Guide Combs for Hair Cuts, and 6-Position Guide, 3 Individual Guides: Stubble, Medium & Full for your grooming needs
The Wahl Power Pro Corded Grooming Kit meets all my needs. It includes a hair clipper that also works as a trimmer and detailer. I mainly use the trimmer head to maintain my beard, and it cuts very easily through my thick hair.
There are also many different lengths to choose from through various attachments included. Being a corded trimmer, it has strong and consistent power. The operation is pretty noisy, which some people might find annoying, but I personally don’t mind it. This is a good trimmer for anyone seeking an efficient trim.
- Wahl Clipper is the #1 brand of beard trimmers and hair clippers*. The brand used by professionals since 1919. Made in the USA
- Powerful Lithium ion Battery - 3 hours of continuous run time means months of normal usage between charging. Wahl lithium ion technology also features almost no loss of charge while in storage, is environmentally smart and lithium ion has no "memory" issues so your battery will always take a full charge
- 1 min Quick Charge - gets you three minutes of trimming. Full charge in just one hour to provide three full hours of operation
The Wahl 9854-600 Lithium Ion All-in-One Trimmer is the ideal trimmer for me. I previously purchased the Wahl 5537-1801 Cordless Beard Trimmer for the portability and low price, but it just wasn’t powerful enough for me.
The All-In-One is a bit pricier, but this trimmer glides right through my bushy beard. It also comes with attachments for detailing and head shaving. What I like the most though is the battery life. After charging for one hour, this baby will last a full two hours.
Although, the quick charging ability gives it a charge within just five minutes. If you have thick facial hair and are looking for a reliable, reasonably priced cordless trimmer, I recommend that you check out this one.
There are many trimmers on the market that have the ability to perform fades, precision, and detailed styles. If that is what you’re looking for, this trimmer will not meet your needs. But when it comes to general beard maintenance, it does a fine job.
I have a few friends who purchased this trimmer as well, simply because it’s so inexpensive, and they all agree that it’s well worth the price. If you’re looking for a cheap, cordless beard trimmer for simple tidying up, I suggest that you check out the Wahl 5537-1801 Cordless Beard Trimmer.
Last update on 2017-12-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API