I like to keep myself looking good. It makes me feel great to look at myself in the mirror and see a sharp dressed, well groomed man smiling back and when it comes to hair and grooming, you've got to consider more than just the beard.
In fact, a lot of the time, it's possible to get away with a slightly wilder look for the beard as long as everything else is razor sharp.
That's why an essential part of every guy's grooming regime has gotta be looking after his haircut, and if you're going to do that yourself, you need a decent pair of clippers.
Things to consider
When you're buying clippers, there's a lot of things to look out for.
As always, if you want quality, you're going to have to pay a little more for it, but if you do, you're guaranteed to get a decent set of clippers that will last you a long time.
So here's what to focus on.
A powerful motor
When it comes to any sort of trimmer, a good motor is everything.
Considering everything runs from it, the better quality motor your purchase has, the better experience you're going to have all round.
Responsible for driving the blades, a stronger motor gives a closer shave, gives a better cut overall, and because the blades will have more power behind them, you'll get less pulls and snarls as you trim.
High quality blades
Professional quality blades are made out of better metal.
They're stronger, so they'll cut through thicker hair easier, meaning you'll get a closer, more even trim, and because they cut easier they'll actually put less strain on the battery, meaning your purchase is likely to last longer.
Not only that, but good quality blades tend to need less maintenance, and stay sharper for much longer. It's just a plus all round.
The power supply
There's two main considerations when you're buying something like this. Do you go mains powered or battery? Both have upsides and downsides.
If you're plugged in, obviously the machine is a lot less mobile. But the constant power flow means you'll get to get a more consistent cut, and they tend to be slightly more powerful, but dont discount batteries.
A decent battery will have just as much power as mains, with all the advantages of portability around the house as well as not needing a charger so you can take it away with you with no other considerations.
Newer lithium ion batteries also tend to hold a charge for a very long time, so even if you're using it daily, you shouldn't have to charge it often.
When it comes to trimmers, there's a hell of a lot of variation in what comes with them. In general, more is always better.
I'm very specific when it comes to my look, and I know what I need to use for everything, beard, hair, sideburns, the lot, so not having to purchase any aftermarket accessories is always a plus.
With all this in mind, lets take a look at today's trimmer
- Wahl Clipper is the #1 brand of beard trimmers and hair clippers. Made in the U.S.A
- Wahl Lithium Ion clipper provides a 2 hour run time, 10 minute quick charge, and holds a charge up to 1 year.
- Complete haircutting kit also includes multiple sizes of guide combs for easy and worry-free at-home haircuts
- Wahl's self-sharpening precision blades stay sharp longer for snag free cutting. Cuts hair 40 percent faster vs. standard Wahl precision blades
- Best gifts for men/dads/boyfriends/Moms/family for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year and other holidays. Get your family looking great and save money too.
The Wahl Lithium Ion clipper is the premier clipper in Wahl's range.
As the name suggests, it's powered by a top quality lithium ion battery, which gives it more power than any other trimmer in the Wahl range, including wired trimmers that run from outlets, even on the go.
It's also got the option for main power itself, which is obviously great for saving the battery, or if you happen to have forgotten to charge it.
As it's a top of the range Wahl clipper, the unit's blades are professional quality, self sharpening, and precision ground, so they should give great performance.
The kit itself comes with literally everything you need, it's so comprehensive it seems aimed more for professional barbers than the regular consumer.
But everything that comes with the kit can be useful, and it's all a great addition because it means, with a little practice, you've got literally everything you need to give yourself a barbershop quality haircut and groom from the comfort of your own bathroom.
The set also comes with a detail trimmer, which I thought was a lovely touch.
It's only small, and runs off of batteries instead of being rechargeable, but for getting around the difficult areas, especially under the ears and around the nose, it's invaluable.Between the two trimmers, there's a total of 14 guide combs of various lengths, plus both left and right ear taper guards.
You also get a standard barbers comb and a styling comb and a pair of scissors, a proper barbers cape, a cleaning brush and blade oil to keep your trimmers clean and functional, eyebrow and ear trim guides, and a premium storage case to keep everything together.
- Lithium Ion battery gives a long charge, good for multiple uses
- Powerful motor. Strongest rechargeable motor in the Wahl range
- 5 year warranty
- Professional level blades cut 40% faster than comparable standard blades
- Cordless convenience, with no loss of capability
- Included detail trimmer
- Fully comprehensive kit comes with everything you might need
- Works just as well for beards as for your head
- Non-removable blade head. Makes cleaning harder, but with the included brush and blade oil it's still easy enough
Features and benefits
First off, the unit itself is well put together.
It feels solid in the hand without being too heavy, and the build quality is excellent.
There's no flimsiness, no part of the trimmer itself feels weak or makes me worry about overstressing it through use.
It's attractive, a classic silver and black, which extends to everything else that comes with it, and the same quality you get with the trimmer runs through the rest of the set, except, unfortunately, for the scissors that come with it.
The handles of the scissors were cheap plastic and a little wobbly, but that's a minor quibble.
In use, the unit itself is robust and reliable, cutting through even thick or wavy hair easily, with pretty much no snagging or pulling.
I naturally have really thick hair, but the motor in this trimmer is the most powerful in the range, over 50% stronger than the standard Wahl motors, and it's strong enough to cut consistently and easily, time after time.
It helps that, as a top quality piece of kit, the blades on this trimmer are also the highest quality in Wahls' range.
Self sharpening and easy to maintain, they cut hair 40% faster than any comparable precision blades.
The blade head itself can also be adjusted and tapered, making it easier to get into difficult areas as well as making blending much easier.
Unfortunately, the head on this trimmer is non-removable, which makes it a little more difficult to clean.
A good brushing gets all of the hair out from the nooks and crannies around the head, but this is relatively minor and I cant see anyone having that much of an issue with it.
There's an included wealth of guards, too, as well as taper guards for both ears, meaning no matter what style or length you want your hair, you're guaranteed to have exactly the tool you need for the job.
One thing that did really impress me was the battery life.
The battery on this trimmer is amazing.
At full charge its got enough power for two hours of use, which is really impressive, considering how powerful the motor is, and is twice the run time on average of other clippers of this value.
It quick charges in just ten minutes, so if you're in a rush and somehow forgot to keep it charged it'll be up and running in no time, It also holds its charge for months on end, so you know if you take it with you when you travel it's not going to randomly go dead.
A detail trimmer comes as standard, which is great, and the detail trimmer also comes with its own set of blade guards, which cuts down on costs.
Now, never having used one, you might not think a detail trimmer is a necessary part of your grooming routine.
I know I certainly didn't.
But until you've used it and appreciate how much easier it is to get the touch spots and how much more control you get with something of this size, it's hard to judge.
Whilst a detail trimmer isn't a reason for me to get this trimmer, and isn't a deal breaker either way, thinking about it now it's something I'd look for if I was looking for a new set.
Being Wahl, it's USA made, if that's a thing that matters to you.
It also comes with a 5 year warranty, covered for damn near everything.
Now I've had no problems with this trimmer, but when I was reading the reviews for it a couple of people mentioned faulty batteries.
Apparently, Wahl took their trimmers back and had new and updated machines back out to them incredibly fast.
So if anything does go wrong with this machine, there's that piece of mind that you're not going to have a dead weight on your hands.
I've got a beard trimmer, which I use regularly to keep myself in check.
On a whim one day I switched it out for this, and was surprised to find that it gave basically the same performance.
It happily buzzed clean through my beard, the guides didnt get tangled at all, and I left for work that morning feeling great.
So if you're wondering if you can also use this as a beard trimmer, the answer is yes.
Overall, the Wahl Lithium Ion clipper is a great piece of kit.
It's got a powerful motor and a great set of blades.
Its battery lasts for ever, and it comes with damn near everything you need to trim yourself up, or, if you're so inclined, start your own home barbershop business.
If you need a trimmer for yourself, I'd heartily recommend this one.
You wont be disappointed.
- Wahl Clipper is the #1 brand of beard trimmers and hair clippers. Made in the U.S.A . Perfect grooming kit for hair cutting and beard trimming
- Wahl's Most Powerful and Durable Motor - For a Lifetime of Superior Performance
- Our Finest Self-Sharpening precision blades -Stays sharp the Longest, and cuts all hair types
- SECURE-FIT Stainless Steel Clip Guide Combs - For smooth and easy haircutting
- Made for use in USA electrical outlets only. Not for international use.
No matter what you're trimming, this trimmer will deliver an exceptional cut, and it's reliable and tough enough to run all day every day, so if that's what you need, then this is a better bet.
But for normal usage, you're better off with the portable.
- Cutting length: 9 fixed combs (1.5-25mm)
- Titanium-Coated Blades - The expertly ground blade edges provide the ultimate haircut experience as they cut through even the thickest hair with ease
- 18-Piece Kit - The all-inclusive kit has everything you need for a proper haircut: length-adjusting and tapering combs, barber scissors, blade oil, and more
- Lithium Power - The advanced chemistry of lithium power provides up to 60 minutes of runtime after a 4-hour charge. The clipper operates cordless or corded, XXL Vacuum Bin - The powerful vacuum ensures trimmed hair is captured in the expanded bin for easy disposal
- Easy to Clean - Use the included brush to clear away hair, then rinse the blades under running water for quick cleanup, Storage Pouch - Keep the kit in one place with a convenient zip-up storage pouch
Downsides are slight. It's got less battery life, but not by much, and it's a bit more expensive.
If you need a good quality trimmer that cleans as you go and you don't mind spending a bit more money, this is a good kit.
- Fits in the palm of your hand so you can easily reach the back of your head, neckline and around your ears. Precision ground, stainless steel blades easily cut through even the thickest hair, reducing pulling and snagging
- Extra-wide Curved Blade - The blade contours to your head with maximum coverage to provide a close, even cut. Shortcut Pro Hair Clipper is 100% Washable - Conveniently rinses clean under the faucet
- Lithium, Rechargeable Battery- 40 minutes of cordless runtime. The Shortcut Pro Hair Clipper can also be used corded for maximum versatility and convenience
- 9 Length Combs - Cuts 1/16" - 5/8" to achieve the exact look you desire
- 13 Piece Kit Includes- Hand-held clipper, 9 Length-adjusting combs, cleaning brush, storage/travel pouch, oil (charging adaptor also included)
Hilariously, I really like this. It's only good for hair, not your beard, but it's so simple and easy to use that it's perfect for a guy who regularly shaves his head.
The sheer simplicity and speed of use mean you save so much time, and the fact that it's designed specifically for shaves close to the head means that the cut you get is always consistent and sharp, and if you're shaving your head often, that could be just what you're looking for.....
Last update on 2017-10-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API