I’ve always had problems keeping my beard groomed and well maintained, not for a lack of trying, but because taking care of a big old soup strainer like I have isn’t easy.
Have you ever considered using a normal comb or hair brush? Well, believe me, if u haven’t already tried it, don’t bother because it works about as well as a submarine with screen doors!
I don’t want my beard to own me, I want to own my beard, and to do that I need a beard comb that can tame the most untamable beard you’ve ever laid your eyes on. Well, that’s why I decided to make a small but worthwhile investment, that being in the Kent Fine Toothed Mustache and Beard Comb.
I needed something to help me keep my beard neat, groomed, straight, and free of tangles, which is why I am quite happy that I purchased the Kent; it works pretty darn well!
Things To Consider Before Buying A Moustache And Beard Comb
Any man with a big and bushy beard like mine would do really well with a good mustache or beard come, especially those men that seem to have big issues with keeping it well maintained.
A simple beard comb is really great for straightening out unruly facial hair to create a great new style or just to make the old look a lot slicker. A great comb is necessary for getting rid of tangles and for making boys look like real men, plus they can even help massage the skin a little bit too!
There aren’t too many considerations to make when buying your own beard comb.
One of the things that I always think about is what beard length I have and what hair length the comb is meant for. I’ve had combs that were a bit too small or big before, and they end up causing more problems than they solve.
You are also going to want to consider how far apart the teeth in the comb are because that will dictate which beards it is ideal for; a really fine tooth comb is good for thinner and less coarse hair, plus for styling too, whereas a coarse tooth comb with larger spaces in between the teeth is ideal for coarse and tangled facial hair.
Another thing to think about is the size of the comb itself regarding its portability, and you also want to think about the material that your comb is made of.
If you’re like me, you’re probably going to want a smaller comb made of treated wood or durable plastic.
One of the reasons I actually got this particular beard comb was because it is the number one best seller on the market.
Usually, I would try to compare it to other products that are said to be better, but that isn’t possible because the Kent seems to be the best there is.
It has everything that a beard and mustache comb needs, probably because the people at Kent have done their research and have already released several other facial hair combs which they have greatly improved upon. This one is most likely the best Kent comb that I’ve ever gotten.
The Kent has 73 mm long teeth, which means that it is ideal for short or medium length beards as well as some pretty bushy mustaches too, especially for styling them and getting rid of small knots.
I’m really happy with the Kent comb because in my opinion, these things need to be portable. Luckily this comb is smaller than the width of my hand and is a perfect fit for my wallet or jeans pocket.
It’s also made of really durable plastic so I know that it won’t snap in my pocket, get water logged, and I know that the teeth aren’t going to snap off in my beard either.
- Ideal size for pockets and wallets.
- Durable and strong plastic.
- Great for short and medium length beard and mustache hair.
- Easily gets through knots.
- Good for styling and straightening facial hair.
We Don’t Like
- Won’t do well with extremely long hair.
- Better for moustaches than beards.
- Not ideal for very coarse beards.
Features & Benefits of The Kent Fine Toothed Beard and Moustache Comb
Like I said, I already purchased the Kent comb for my mustache and beard. Up until now, I’ve been quite happy with it because it seems to get the job done just fine.
It works for my beard, and I think that unless you have an extreme caveman beard, it would definitely work for you too.
This particular Kent Mustache and Beard Comb has a few really great features that make it one of the best choices out there today, let’s talk about those features.
One of the things that I really like about this Kent comb is its small size. Being small makes it very versatile and lets me carry it around with me wherever I go.
Sometimes when I’m outside, it gets windy, and that can ruin a well-maintained groom with a few gusts of air. The Kent comb is convenient because it’s smaller than my hand and it actually fits into my pallet or pants pockets.
Whenever I need the comb, I can just pull it out of my pocket to groom my beard in an instant.
Another thing that really appeals to me when it comes to this particular mustache and beard comb is its rugged build. It may not be a big comb, but bigger isn’t always better, and as long as it’s strong I’m happy.
I’ve sat and stood on this comb, and it has managed to stay in one piece up until now. I didn’t think that the plastic would be as tough as it is, but then again I tend to be wrong about lots of things.
Being tough is also really great because my beard is pretty rough so I can’t have the teeth breaking off and getting stuck in my soup strainer.
The plastic build of this mustache and beard comb is also really great because it’s waterproof and won’t get all nasty, smelly, and logged with beard moisture.
The Kent comb has 73 mm long teeth which have fine spaces in between them, making this comb ideal for shorter and medium length beard hair.
The fine spaces are great for untangling knots, making my beard all fine and soft, and for straightening out too.
I think that this comb actually works the best for my mustache because it’s precise and really lets me make the style that I want. The small nature of this comb really lets me make any style that I want!
On a side note, the fine teeth are actually great for giving my face a tender little massage too.
Alternatives To The Kent Comb
I personally would most likely always choose the Kent Comb because it does have some pretty great features, but you may not be in the same boat as me.
If you think that you would rather prefer some other kind of beard comb, you can always check out the alternatives that I have found. I have used some of them, and I think that they all make for great options.
- ✔ PROMOTE A HEALTHIER BEARD WHILE YOU COMB Our wooden beard comb promotes thick growth and helps to distribute both natural skin oils and beard oil and beard balm products to better nourish and hydrate growth.
- ✔ REDUCE ITCHING & IRRITATION Beard comb straightens growth, not only leaving your beard looking neater but also reducing skin discomfort that can arise while beards grow.
- ✔ BETTER FOR YOUR BEARD Because our beard comb is made from pear wood, it is much gentler than plastic and metal beard brush and comb products on the market. The wooden beard comb won’t snag growth or cause static damage
If you aren’t a big fan of plastic and would rather have a wooden brush, you might want to think about getting the Mr. Rugged Wooden Beard Comb.
Unlike the Kent that is made of plastic, the Mr. Rugged is made of wood.
Wood has its ups and downs.
On one hand, the wood helps to distribute beard oils and beard balms much better than plastic, it retains moisture to maximize hydration, and it even helps to reduce irritation and itching; those are things that the plastic comb probably won’t do.
One the other hand the Kent Comb is completely water proof, it’s slightly stronger due to its strong polymer build, and it’s quite a bit smaller than the Mr. Rugged as well, not to mention that the Kent is ideal for mustaches and beards, whereas the Mr. Rugged is really only for beards.
Both of these combs are ideal for finer hair that is short or medium in length.
- 🎅 GROOM TO IMPRESS – Got an important meeting, a big interview or a hot date that you need to look your best for? First impressions are everything so don’t let yourself get caught not looking sharp. Our beard comb has two sides with fine teeth and wide teeth for all types of facial hair so you can get your beard just right for those big moments.
- 💪 PROMOTE A HEALTHY BEARD – Have you seen those guys with big, full beards and wish you had one too? Daily brushing will not only aide in soothing an itchy beard, but it will also help stimulate beard growth. Bearded Lemon’s perfect size fits in your hand to make it comfortable and easy to give your beard the brushing it deserves. Everyone loves a thick, full beard.
- 🌳 HANDMADE NATURAL SANDALWOOD – Are you tired of using stinky, plastic combs that smell like a chemical factory? We all know that anything we use on our bodies especially our faces needs to be as natural as possible. The Bearded Lemon is handcrafted from 100% natural sandalwood meaning it won’t harm your skin or beard. Each comb is unique in wood grain plus they smell great with a woody scent you’ll enjoy every time your brush.
This is also a great wooden comb to go with.
I think that there are both benefits and negatives to having a wooden comb, unlike the Kent, which is plastic.
Of course, the plastic is waterproof, the Kent is durable, and it’s portable too.
The Kent is good, but the Bearded Lemon Beard Comb is a little more diverse.
Not only does the wood help to spread around moisture, but the Bearded Lemon Comb has 2 sides on it, one for rough and coarse hair and another side for fine hair.
In other words, it has a fine toothed and a bigger toothed side which makes it ideal for all hair types and lengths and jobs of all sizes.
- GREAT FOR LONG BEARDS: Beard brush with firm bristles to penetrate and smooth out thick and long beards
- 100% BOAR BRISTLES: Outfitted with second-cut boar bristles for a medium-firm brush that keeps hairs in line and tames tangles
- MADE IN GERMANY: Beautifully crafted brush made with the finest materials in Germany
The final alternative that I am listing is the Zeus Boar Bristle Brush.
Boar bristle brushes like this one are excellent for detangling messy beards, combing out knots, spreading around moisture, combating flakes, and stopping your face from being itchy.
Those are the benefits. However when compared to the plastic or wood combs we have mentioned there are some drawbacks too.
The main drawback is that the boar bristle brush is pretty expensive, plus it’s quite big too so it’s not like you can take it with you wherever you go.
Also, this boar bristle brush is really only meant for long beards, whereas the other options are ideal for short and medium length hair, with the exception of the Bearded Lemon Comb, which is great for all beard lengths.
So if you are like me, and you are always having problems with keeping your beard well maintained you may want to consider investing in one of the combs or brush options that I’ve listed above.
These great tools can get through knots, straighten beards, and even style them too, not to mention that some of the alternatives I’ve mentioned are great for spreading around moisture and combating itchiness.
Stop having people look at you like you haven’t showered and groomed your beard since it started growing.
Your best bet is to get a beard comb like the Kent Comb, which is going to keep you looking sharp and spiffy.